Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving and My Breakup With My Kitchen

Ahhh, I am thankful that Thanksgiving is over. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed catching up with family and shamelessly dressing Aiden in a button down dress shirt and yellow sweater vest. I also enjoyed the food and the wine. I may have enjoyed the wine a little too much. Nonetheless I am glad it is over and if it is possible I am still tired! I thought I would never get out of the kitchen. Like many moms, or I guess women in general, I spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen. My dream house will have an enormous kitchen with cherry cabinets, granite counter tops, and oven that is actually big enough to accomadate the cast iron turkey pan we received for our wedding shower, a fully stocked coffee bar, an island, and self cleaning tile. I will also have one of those flat screen TVs that people were trampling each other and spraying mase for on Black Friday. Imagine how much TV watching I could get done if I had a TV in the kitchen! I would never have to Tvo Dr Oz again! You may laugh, but people have TVs in their bathrooms. I don't know about you, but I haven't spent a lot of alone time in my bathroom in the past two and a half years. Then again, I am usually not alone in the kitchen either. It seems as though the moment I turn on the over or retrieve a pot my son decides to remove every piece of Tupperware from the cabinet and play in the middle of the kitchen floor, my husband wanders in in search of a snack to eat while leaning against the sink, and the cats plop themselves in front of the refrigerator. I trip over Tupperware, nudge the cats out of the way and try to make my way to the sink for awhile before yelling, "Get OUT of the KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!"

At a holiday party all of the guests like to congregate in the kitchen and my son likes to cling to me like Velcro. Anyway, my first time hosting Thanksgiving was a success in that the there was enough turkey to go around and then some, everyone seemed to have a good time, and I didn't spill red wine on anything. After two days of cooking I was sick and tired of my kitchen and in no shape for the Black Friday shopping I had planned with a friend. In case you think I forgot the true reason for Thanksgiving in the midst of my cooking, cleaning, drinking, and complaining I will assure you that I have not. I am thankful for my faith, my son, my husband, family, friends, a roof over my head, my double oven and wine. I am also thankful that I can start eating something besides turkey again. Actually, if no one mentions the word "turkey" again before Christmas that would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment