Friday, December 16, 2011

Toddler's First Plane Flight: Flight Attendants Prepare for Take Off

Purely for my convenience my brother transferred back from China to sunny San Diego, California. No, he is not in the military. He is the vice president of product design for Motorola, or some important long complicated job title like that. Basically he is high on the company totem pole and he has spent the last four years overseeing the Asian department, first in Korea and then in China. I selfishly would not make the fourteen hour trek to Beijing, China with a toddler in tow in order to visit him, so he and his family moved back to the States and bought a house right outside of San Diego. Oh, sure there was my nephew starting high school, some job changes, and my sister in law's completely understandable disenchantment with living in a different culture for another several years, but mostly it was my traveling convenience that solidified the decision. Sisters and aunts are important, you know.

Anyway, the relatively manageable four hour flight from Chicago to San Diego was Aiden's first time on an airplane, or in an airport for that matter. Now I am a chronic over packer and I thought traveling for a day required a lot of preparation. Never mind the fact that the weather in San Diego is beautiful during the day, but requiring at least a sweat shirt at night. I managed to stuff the three of us in two suitcases, but my main concern was the carry on items. I am just glad Aiden is potty trained. Instead of diapers I packed on bag full of exciting toys such as paint dots, play dough, Aiden's Leapster computer (or as he calls it, "pactor"), books, and stickers. I packed another bag full of snacks and an empty sippy cup since apparently diluted apple juice can now be used as a nuclear weapon. We also dragged around Aiden's car seat on this ingenious cart thing that my mother in law sent to us. However, the most important carry on item of all - drum roll, please - the portable DVD player and Clifford and Thomas DVDs. That big red dog has never let me down - until now...

Other than Aiden's concern that the X-ray machine would eat his stuffed Clifford, things went smoothly. Aiden thought the people movers were great fun (oh, to be a kid again) and he thought takeoff was pretty fun as well. About an hour into the flight after exhausting all aforementioned facets of toddler entertainment. I broke out the DVD player in hopes that I could get a nap. I had fully charged the battery the night before but I had neglected to test out or bring backup for my ten year old portable DVD player, which showed no signs of life. I need Clifford, the big red dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fortunately for us Aiden was kept entertained by making several visits to the miniscule bathroom (have you ever tried fitting two people in an airplane bathroom - wait, don't answer that) trying to kick the seat in front of him, opening and closing the plastic window shade, eating and finally falling asleep. Cliofford's absence being considered, the flight could not have gone better. The flight home passed similarly, minus the sleeping unless you count Aiden's three minute nap during takeoff. Considering our five thirty wake up time this was a little disappointing to me, the furthest thing from a morning person. Still, it could have been much, much worse. It was a successful first trip for Aiden and a great visit for all of us. I believe the flight attendants, my husband, and I all breathed a sigh of relief when the flight arrived with minimal turbulence. I am glad I convinced my brother to move back to San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment